dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: target milestone and build numbers

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:04:42 -0700

IMO, it is confusing and errorprone to introduce a new terminology
like GlassFish V1, V2, ... Vn when we already had a nomenclature in place
like: 9.0peur1_bxx and 9.1pe_bxx. For one thing, there is no point
in decorating GlassFish with V1s and V2s. Just call it GlassFish
and continue to use the target milestones (where a set of bugs are
fixed or a set of enhancements are integrated) to distinguish
the builds.

I hope at some point we distinguish between the GlassFish builds
and dependent product releases.

Simple procedure for GlassFish would be:
- Developers and bug committee decide the target milestone for a bug.
- IssueTracker reflects it.
- Users just look at the target milestone and download that build to
   get the fix for the bug that they want fixed. (We can even think
   of providing the link to the download location of the build corresponding
   to the target milestone in the IssueTracker).

For GlassFish there should be one CVS location that it builds off,
and that happens to be the TRUNK, at the moment. GlassFish issues should be
tracked by IssueTracker alone.

Now, if there are product releases that have some fixes and not
other, they can be better tracked by other bug tracking systems that
have support for tracking multiple releases.

BTW, do we know how opensolaris does it?