dev@fi.java.net

Re: Checking FIME in

From: Changshin Lee <iasandcb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:14:38 +0100

First of all, I have to admit that it took quite some time to reply to
this message because I've been busy preparing to leave the U.K. (and
will resume working in Tmax from 1 Aug) and more importantly I have
taken the copyright issue into very deep consideration.

> re: license...
>
> This would be for the FIME specific files, right? If so, I'm OK with
> that.
>
> re: packages...
>
> Before getting to the packages, we probably should mention copyright
> owners. I can't remember if anybody has mentioned already this, skip
> until "back to packages" below if that is the case...
>
> As you know, copyright is different to the license. For example, all
> apache code is copyright ASF. Their license (ASL 2.0) is pretty
> liberal, but ASF insists that all contributions to their projects
> explicitly grant copyright to ASF [clarifying that was one of the
> benefits of ASL 2.0 over the older ASL - and committers need to
> explicitly sign an agreement. Sun has done that for their Apache
> projects]. There are many good reasons for that requirement, and some
> of us have had unsatisfying experiences with projects where there were
> many multiple copyright owners that had to be contacted when, for
> example, we wanted to improve the license.
>
> This same requirement for copyright ownership is present for FI and
> other JWSDP projects [as another example, these code components are
> used in the Java EE and Java SE reference implementations which
> imposes some constraints on us as the leads for these JSRs].
>
> So, the same way that Apache requests the copyright assignment, Sun
> requires the same thing. THis is done through the SCA. Jim just
> pushed out a nice blog on this that is getting a fair amount of
> attention; see
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/driscoll/archive/2005/07/newest_concern.html.
>

> Hopefully you won't see the Sun copyright ownership as an evil plot
> and you will sign the SCA [the instructions are at:
> https://jwsdp.dev.java.net/contributions.html#codecontributions]. If
> you have issues with the SCA, let me know and I'll address them when
> I'm back on Monday - I'm supposedly on vacation today.

> Now, back to packages. We are using com.sun.* because that is what we
> use directly inside our implementation. I'd use the same for your
> FIME pieces.

OK. Do I have to sign the SCA before I get a commit permit and check in
FIME?

Cheers,

Ias