users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: High level Requirements and Example scenarios

From: Scott Ferguson <ferg_at_caucho.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:10:25 -0700

On 04/20/2012 03:29 PM, Danny Coward wrote:
> Hello experts,
>
> Before we get to APIs and all that, I want to spend a little time
> talking about the high level requirements of the JSR. These were more
> or less laid out in the JSR itself, so that's always a good place to
> check back on as we get deeper into this.
>
> But I've laid them out again (attached document), together with the
> deployment settings, and a short description of an example application
> and how it all works that uses the output of the JSR.

Two ideas I've been wondering whether they should be in scope are:

   1. message queuing (basically dealing with websockets as a
multithreaded messaging service)
   2. encoding/decoding

Originally, I'd considered both out of scope, but they're both fairly
central to something structured like the chat application, and may be
easier/cleaner to handle from the implementation.

1. Why queuing may make sense: when the chat broker sends a message, it
cannot get stuck on any client, even if that client happens to be stuck,
otherwise the whole system freezes. If the API offers a queue, the
broker can dump a POJO message object in a client queue, and rely on the
implementation to wake threads, handle stuck clients, etc.

2. Encoding/decoding may make sense in conjunction with #1. The queued
POJO needs to be encoded before sending, for example to JSON. If the API
provides a simple encoding interface, plugging in standard JSON (or XML
or Hessian or protobuf or whatever) should be straightforward and reusable.

I'm not suggesting anything complicated, I hope. Something like:

   // similar in concept to AsyncContext
   public interface WebSocketContext {
     // create queue for #1
     public <T> BlockingQueue<T> createOutputQueue(WebSocketEncoder<T>
encoder);

     // low-level stream (used by applications not using #1 and the
encoder for #2)
     public OutputStream startBinaryMessage();
     public PrintWriter startTextMessage();
   }

   // encoder for #2
   public interface WebSocketEncoder<T> {
     public void encode(WebSocketContext ws, T value);

     public void flush(WebSocketContext ws);
   }

Neither #1 nor #2 are strictly necessary, since a framework could
provide them, but they might be fundamental enough to discuss for this
JSR. (The chat example would need something like it.)

-- Scott