jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: [SPEC-161] Encoding in Deployment Descriptor

From: Bauke Scholtz <balusc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 14:38:43 +0200

Hi,

My 2 cents:

- W3C recommends UTF-8 https://www.w3.org/TR/html40/appendix/notes.html#
non-ascii-chars
- HTML5 spec defaults to UTF-8 https://www.w3.org/TR/
html5/document-metadata.html#charset
- java.net.URLEncoder recommends UTF-8 https://docs.oracle.com/
javase/8/docs/api/java/net/URLEncoder.html
- I myself have advocated UTF-8 for almost a decade
http://balusc.omnifaces.org/2009/05/unicode-how-to-get-characters-right.html
- JSF/Facelets defaults to UTF-8
- Everyone keeps homebrewing servlet filters to force
request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8")
- And, as Mark mentioned, Tomcat switched to UTF-8 since 2014 and no one
complained

Cheers, B