jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: HTTP/2 Push Was: Server-Sent Events in Java EE 8

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:49:58 +1000

On 13 August 2014 01:26, Rémy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/08/2014 10:45, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
>> If we go with the simple request.push() then I think users are going to
>> start raising the issues you highlighted - particularly the cross-context
>> push - quite quickly. Therefore it looks to me that the RequestDispatcher
>> option is the better one. Mark
>>
> +1 given the described intent, this request dispatcher based API looks
> very appropriate. I am less convinced however by heuristics to define
> "resource groups" to push when a certain resource is requested, maybe this
> could instead be configurable in web.xml and/or using an annotation.

The heuristics certainly are not perfect. An alternative would be a
session based model where you you use framework knowledge of resources
together with a session map to keep track of resources pushed to a session,
while this would also not be perfect, the nature of push as an optimisation
means that so long as you don't consume too much effort.

Eventually there may be scope to ask the browser vendors for an extension
that communicates more of the cache state with an initial request.

> As a side note, since I don't plan to be part of the next Servlet EG, I'd
> like to use this opportunity to thank all the people most involved in
> producing the previous Servlet specifications, including in particular but
> not limited to: Rajiv, Shing Wai, Mark and Greg.

Oh! Thanks too to you for your contributions!

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>