dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: JAX-RS 2.0

From: Bill de hOra <bill_at_dehora.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:17:35 +0100

Bill Burke wrote:

> Marc Hadley wrote:
>> Experts,
>>
>> We are starting to think about what we'd like to include in a new JSR
>> for a major revision to JAX-RS. Below are the items we have so far,
>> please let us know if there are items you'd like to add/remove/change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marc.
>>
>> (i) Client API
>>
>> This has been the most frequent RFE. We can re-use a number of current
>> APIs, most notably message body readers and writers but will require
>> several new APIs too. Most JAX-RS implementations provide a client
>> API, we will request and survey submissions to decide on the best
>> approach.

+1 to a client. The difference in something like jersey-client compared
to the ASF's http client is transformative ime.

>> (iii) Form data and multipart handling
>>
>> Improve the handling of form data and MIME multipart data

+1

>> (v) Templating/MVC
>>
>> Production of representations using standard template technologies
>> (e.g. JSP).
>
> [...]
>
> BUT...I'm not sure this should be the domain of JAX-RS as this is more
> of a Web-Framework like feature. Maybe JAX-RS should focus on tighter
> integration with JSF/Web Beans instead?

-1 to specific view technology. But I would like to see stronger
template support in terms of being able to flexibly dispatch to a
jsp/ftl/etc (for example being able to access jsps housed inside
web-inf) via some kind of rendering provider.

Bill