dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: POLL - Targets for _at_*Param, _at_DefaultValue, _at_Encoded

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:59:05 +0100

Hi Stephan,

The use of:

   String s = tlCharSequence.get().toString();

is really convoluted and ugly. Same goes for the use of a concrete
implementation of java.lang.Number for just primitive types. In general
any user defined class that supports either a String constructor or a
static valueOf cannot be supported. IMHO the concept *is* complicated
:-) it introduces a whole new set of restricted rules for parameters
that i see very little value in.

Choosing the life-cycle has certain consequences to the style of
programming and i would prefer to specify some very simple and concise
rules: for non-per-request life-cycle a root resource class must have
all of the following:

   1) A constructor with no per-request-based annotations
      (we already require this rule)

   2) No annotated fields with per-request-based annotations

i would also like a third (but i can live without it):

   3) No annotated bean setter methods with per-request-based annotations

Any root resource class with a non-per-request life-cycle that does not
conform to the above rules will not be deployed and will result in an error.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz