dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: POLL - Targets for _at_*Param, _at_DefaultValue, _at_Encoded

From: Stephan Koops <Stephan.Koops_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:45:59 +0100

Hello,

a new (a little bit extended looking) proposal:

(preambel :-) )
The default lifecycle for root resource classes (abbr: rrcs) is, that an
instance is created for every request. And for the default lifecycle the
specification should be made, IMO, but allow other lifecycles. If an
implementation use another lifecycle, it has to accept more work in a
little number of cases, IMO.

To support this: For rrcs we have the following cases (did I miss
something?):

   1. no fields and @*Param annotated bean setters are available -> no
      problem.
   2. all fields and bean setters have type ThreadLocal<Whatever> -> no
      problem.
   3. at least one not ThreadLocal typed and @*Param annotated field:
      can work, if the runtime could support a ThreadLocal
      implementation for the given type (e.g. proxy subclass).
   4. at least one @*Param annotated bean setters have not type
      ThreadLocal<Whatever>: can work (setter use ThreadLocal), but
      runtime don't know.
   5. other, non @*Param-annotated, non @Context and non ThreadLocal
      fields are be available -> will typically not work, because it is
      used as normal instance variable.

A bettering for case 3: We could also allow CharSequence with String as
default for fields and bean setter, so a String like type is also
available for runtime environments with singelton rrc lifecycle. I
think, that Strings (or more general CharSequences) are mostly used for
@*Param values. Perhaps we could also allow java.lang.Number with Double
as default, if a "." is available in the String to parse, or Integer or
Long, if no "." is available in the String to parse. An implementation
could also create a subclass thread local proxy.

A solution for the last case could be an official annotation
@SingeltonReady on a rrc. If it is available on a rrc, also a
non-default lifecycle could be supported, also if checks 3 and 4 do not
pass.

This concept looks complicated, but it has the following advantages:

    * nothing will change for implementations and app developers using
      default rrc lifecycle (only add the injection in annotated fields
      an bean setters), but
    * a lot of flexibility for @*Param (everywhere (iv)/(v) on rrcs and
      also on other resource classes)
    * singelton lifecycle with detection of trouble creating rrcs is
      available, but also
    * allow rrcs to be runned as singelton, also if it's interface does
      not show this. (e.g. setter with int parameter, but rrc maps this)

The additional work for singelton lifecycle runtime environments is to
check, if the rrc is valid for this lifecycle (see 4 points at top).

What do you think?

Stephan