dev@jsr311.java.net

RE: JSR311: The best practice to return primitive types from a RESTful service?

From: Liu, Jervis <jliu_at_iona.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:49:23 -0500

Thanks for the reply. I do agree that returning an int is indeed a fine grained style from the old RPC world, and this should be avoid if possible. However, as Stefan mentioned, whether or not an employee's age can be made a resource is really arguable, it is a design choice made by users unless the JSR-311 API formally prohibits doing so. So here is my question. As one of the goals of JSR-311 is to prompt a resource-oriented programming model [1], should not the JSR-311 spec provide a guide on how to deal with returning primitive types either through API or at least a best practice recommendation? At the moment, I see this is a hole not addressed by the spec. I can imagine once JRS-311 is getting used to build real applications, people will come out with the same question again and again, "oh, I have a java method "int getEmployeeAge(String employeeName)", how can I turn this into a restful service using JSR-311?".

Several options I have in my mind:

a). in JSR-311 section 3.1.2, "An implementation MUST include pre-packaged EntityProvider implementations for the following Java and media type combinations:", add the support for Java Primitive types:

Java primitive types All text media types (text/*).

But with an statement that returning a fine grained primitive type is not a recommended practice.

Essentially this means a JSR-311 runtime implementation needs to provide a PrimitiveEntityProvider to read and write primitive types to/from entity body using text/plain content type, same as what we do with String.

b). Do not provide any support for Java Primitive types but explicitly stated in JSR-311 section 3.1.2 that no default support for returning Java Primitive types is because this is not a recommended practice. But if users really want to do this, they really understand the design choice they have made, they can do this by registering their own PrimitiveEntityProvider on the JSR-311 container.

Thoughts?

[1]. "It was observed that an API cannot be RESTful itself, rather the applications built using the API can be RESTful. There was general agreement that the API should lead in a certain direction where developers would 'naturally' build RESTful applications." - Meeting Minutes April 24th, 2007. https://jsr311.dev.java.net/

Cheers,
Jervis