dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: obtaining objects from 3rd party containers

From: Dhanji R. Prasanna <dhanji_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:20:53 +1000

On 7/16/07, Heiko Braun <hbraun_at_redhat.com> wrote:

> IMO this lies beyond the scope of this specification.
> Any JSR-311 implementation can always add functionality like
> this, but it's highly target container / framework depended.
>
> I.e. an 311 implementation may add capabilities to deal with spring
> dependencies:
>
> @SpringBean
> private PersonDao dao; //injected by spring

I think perhaps I didn't make my case clear--I was *not* suggesting that we
support spring or any external container. I was suggesting that we don't
define our *own* container that would just be a minuscule subset of existing
containers that are more likely to be used in many environments. Instead I
suggest we provide an API for obtaining instances which can have a simple
out-of-the-box impl for say the object-per-request scope.

As for the DI model in general for the EE platform, I intend to work with
members of 299, 314, 315 and 316 to standardize on IoC and interop across
the board in the EE platform.

Put another way, IMO an IoC container is out of the scope of this JSR.

Dhanji.