users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] [jsr338-experts] Re: JPA schema generation

From: Evan Ireland <eireland_at_sybase.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:39:16 +1200

Linda,

My five cents worth (no 2 cents here, due to inflation!)

1(a) is typically of interest to DBAs, who don't want to let any DML be run
in "their" database if they haven't seen/checked the DML.

1(b) is of great use to developers, but also is valuable when you have a
deployment of an application that the DBA doesn't know about the schema for
(e.g. they weren't involved in defining it, as it came from a third party),
so the DBA isn't so likely to be able to usefully "vet" it anyway.

4 (index meta-data in particular) is absolutely essential.

If we only do one thing (no doubt we will do more than one thing), then
index meta-data (e.g. via annotations) in my mind is the most critical.