users@jpa-spec.java.net

[jpa-spec users] Integration with CDI

From: Craig Ringer <craig_at_postnewspapers.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:57:30 +0800

Dear Linda Demichiel,

I contacted you a few weeks ago to find out about any plans the JPA 2.1
spec team had about specifying integration with CDI, because it's a real
sore-point in development of EE 6 apps at present.

I thought I'd follow up and see what you thought, as I haven't heard
back from you or seen any further discussion on the -experts mailing
list after Adam Bien reposted my message to him on that list.

I'm really concerned that JPA 2.1 might come out without any kind of CDI
integration, and it's such a big usability issue on any kind of DI-based
app (ie: any standard Java EE 6 app using EJB 3.1 or plain CDI) that
it'd be a big shame. If there's any way I can help with this I'd be
happy to, though I don't feel particularly well qualified when it comes
to the details.

More recently I've noticed another interesting hiccup. According to the
Glassfish folks, JTA datasource names in persistence.xml must be looked
up only in the container global JNDI context, not the component/module
context. That means datasources for persistence.xml cannot be mapped
using a web.xml resource-ref and a glassfish-web.xml or jboss-web.xml
resource-ref mapping. This seems like an ... interesting ... quirk,
given that resources are mapped in almost all other contexts and _need_
to be mappable for inter-container portability. Is there any chance JPA
2.1 could specify that persistence contexts be initialized within module
context, applying any mappings defined for that context?

--
Craig Ringer
POST Newspapers