jsr338-experts@jpa-spec.java.net

[jsr338-experts] Re: Early access to the TCK

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:23:51 +0100

Oli/all,

In an ideal world, that's how TDD works[?] And based on the session Patrick
and others from the PMO held a while ago on TCKs, a TCK must not be
tailored towards one implementation or the RI only, so if a Spec Lead
company is large enough like in this case, ideally the part that writes the
TCK should not necessarily be the ones who write the Spec or RI, though in
some situations of course they may interact.

Regarding the license, I believe the Spec page
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=338 section 2.18 makes it very clear, that
neither RI nor TCK for 338 are licensed under Apache or any other Open
Source license. Nor are JSON or WebSockets, just to mention 2 other parts
of the Java EE 7 Umbrella. In those cases the Spec isn't even in a public
repository, while RI is, though certain licenses may also apply for
commercial purposes beyond R&D, other Open Source Projects that go as
Non-Profits or those "Qualified Individuals".

JCP.next is not about "Make everything Open Source", it is about a
transparent way of designing and developing the JSRs with as little "deals
behind closed doors" as possible, or none[?]

HTH,
Werner

329.gif
(image/gif attachment: 329.gif)