users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] Re: [jsr368-experts] Re: svn -> git (GitHub)

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:39:12 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM, Reza Rahman <reza_rahman_at_lycos.com> wrote:

> Personally this is a good idea. May be a way to make community
> contributions easier.

I think so too.

One thing I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to establish some
consistency in the way repos are set up. Currently every repo on GitHub
uses slightly different naming conventions.

For instance:

JSF:
https://github.com/javaserverfaces
/mojarra
/samples
/extensions

Java EE security:
https://github.com/javaee-security-spec
/javaee-security-proposals
/soteria
/javaee-security-examples
/spec-api

MVC 1:
https://github.com/spericas
/ozark
/mvc-spec

MVC 2:
https://github.com/mvc-spec
/ozark
/mvc-spec
/mvc-spec.github.io

JMS
https://github.com/jms-spec
/jms-proposals
/jms-examples
/jms-spec.github.io

Another thing is if it perhaps would not be a better idea to have a
"javaee-spec" organisation and then put all specs below that?

So:

https://github.com/javaee-spec
/jsf-proposals
/jsf-samples
/jsf-ri-mojarra
/jms-proposals
/jms-samples

It would need some re-organising of already existing repos though, but MVC
2 and JMS have just been setup.

Regardless, it may be an idea to setup a new GitHub repo for JSF as well,
as the existing one is strictly a read-only mirror from the java.net one
and thus can't be used as public working repo.

Yet another thing, what about a disclaimer for settling IP rights for pull
requests from non-EG members? For Mojarra there's a disclaimer somewhere
for if you mail a patch to the mailinglist, you donate it and give up IP
(or something like that IANAL). The CDI mailing list has a similar
disclaimer if I'm not mistaken.

Finally, with a java.net git repo and a github git repo, 2 way sync is
quite doable by cloning one of the repos and adding the other as an extra
remote. Specifically if you then also create a feature branch it's rather
easily to merge changes from one repo to the local clone, and then push it
out to the other repo. Still, it would probably be cleanest if all commits
went through the GitHub repo. I'm not sure yet how it would work with a SVN
java.net repo if that SVN repo would also get committed to directly.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms