users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] Re: JMS_SPEC-134: Declarative Annotation Based JMS Listeners

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 15:30:08 +0100

On 24/08/2015 15:51, Nigel Deakin wrote:

> I've written down some proposals which you can read at
> https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIBeansAsJMSListeners

Thank you for the feedback so far. I've also received some very helpful comments from the CDI spec community, and from
colleagues within Oracle. I've attempted to record all the comments made so far on a wiki page. This is at
https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments

Here's a summary of the comments so far:

* Is there a way to avoid the application having to inject and instantiate the listener bean?
   See https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#Creating_listener_beans_automatically

* Is there a way for the queue, message selector etc to be specified at runtime rather than hardcoded as an annotation?
   See https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#Runtime_customisation

* It might be desirable to allow JMS listener beans to listen to temporary queues and topics.
   See https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#Listening_to_temporary_queues_and_topics

* It's important that my application deploys even if the JMS provider isn't fully available yet
   See https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#Handling_failures

* What scopes are active when the callback method is invoked?
   See
https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#What_scopes_are_active_when_the_callback_method_is_invoked?

* I think we should leverage the existing CDI event/observer functionality instead of introducing a completely new
delivery mechanism
   See https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/CDIListenerBeanComments#Are_CDI_events_better?

Please feel free to make comments on those comments, or to raise new comments.

Nigel