users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] JMS 2.1 Ideas

From: Ryan Cuprak <rcuprak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 00:20:28 -0400

Hello,
 I have a couple of suggested ideas for JMS 2.1 from challenges that I ran into:

1. Singleton MDB
 Recently I was working on a project where I needed a “singleton" MDB reading off of a queue. It is a long story why this was necessary. In GF I configured the bean so that the pool size was 1. However, the container would create and destroy the bean at random (perhaps a bug). The postConstruct method would take upwards of 30 seconds to initialize which resulted in a performance problem. I felt that configuring an MDB pool to have one instance was a bit of a hack. It would be nice to have a "singleton MDB" construct.

2. CDI events and MDBs
 It isn’t clear to me in the specs whether MDBs can receive CDI events.

3. Ability to control MDBs - start/stop message delivery. If something goes awry with an MDB (application logic detects a problem), some mechanism to ‘stop’ MDBs from processing messages.

4. Timeouts on message delivery - if an MDB processing a message exceeds a certain timeout period, fire a listener so that application logic can handle it.

-Ryan