users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-73) Define how messages from a topic are delivered to clustered application server instances

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:39:36 +0000

No-one gave any feedback on my email below.

As the email below explains, I am coming to the view that implementing the new "subscriptionScope" MDB activation
property by requiring the resource adapter to automatically generate the subscription name may not be practical because
it would be difficult to implement in a portable way which is guaranteed to work in multiple application servers. This
is a problem because I don't think JMS should be defining mandatory features which cannot be implemented portably.

I don't think we will have time to resolve this in time for JMS 2.0, so I therefore propose that we DEFER THIS FEATURE
UNTIL JMS 2.1. This will give time to pursue other ways of implementing "subscription scope" which do not rely on the
resource adapter generating a subscription name.

This would also defer the associated feature which allows the subscriptionName to be left unset when subscriptionScope
was set.

Dropping this feature will probably mean that the JCA EG will drop the new method getActivationName on BootstrapContext
that they were adding to support this. The JCA maintenance release is due to be submitted later this week so I need to
let them know very soon whether JMS will be using this method or not.

As always, your comments would be welcome.

Nigel