users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: Late change: A.3.1 Delivery delay (Issue 2: behaviour of QueueBrowser)

From: Rüdiger zu Dohna <ruediger.dohna_at_1und1.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:01:29 +0100

When I think about the use-cases for a QueueBrowser, everything that comes to my mind is related to queue management. As Nigel points out, non-committed sends and delivery are not visible, but still what a user probably would expect, as the same happens in databases as well.

I can understand that depending on the data structures used in the JMS provider may make it difficult to implement, but what reasons are there on the JMS users side?

Robert writes: "it could add to a lot of confusion when comparing results returned from a QueueBrowser to an active consumer". I think the opposite is true: If I look at the messages in a QueueBrowser, I'd expect to see all messages that are not yet consumed... either because the consumers didn't come around yet, or because their delivery delay stops them. To me this seems very natural.

Are there other reasons for (a)?

I support Johns suggestion to standardize on a syntax for a delay message selector for QueueBrowser in 2.1 (it wouldn't make any sense in normal message selectors, would it?).

So I'm strongly for (b). But if we can't find consensus on this issue, maybe we'd have to leave it up to the implementors and fix it in 2.1? Far from the perfect solution, I know, but better than delaying delaying (pun intended).

Rüdiger