users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] Re: JMSException#getCause()

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:04:00 +0000

On 05/01/2013 13:27, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering why JMSException does not support Java 1.4 exception chaining [1] (#getCause() vs.
> #getLinkedException()). It should be easy to retrofit (similar to InvocationTargetException) and reduce the confusion
> and potential for misuse. Also a constructor that takes a message string and a cause (like every other exception class)
> would be nice.
>
> [1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/chained-exceptions.html
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

By coincidence, "axel_podehl" has logged a JIRA issue which is closely related to this. I have copied Philippe's comment
to that issue.

http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-113

As you may have noticed, I'm now deferring consideration of *new* issues until JMS 2.1, and this issue is no exception
(pun not intended). I've added it to the growing list at
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JSR343Planning#Minor_issues_to_be_considered_for_JMS_2.1

If people make comments on the JIRA issue we won't lose them and can consider them properly when we get to 2.1.

Hope that seems reasonable.

Nigel