users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-46) Define standard API to create and configure a ConnectionFactory

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:01:37 +0100

I refer to this JIRA issue, which was discussed prior to the Early Draft but was not completed in time for it.

On 11/08/2011 16:46, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> I have created this JIRA issue
> http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-46
>
> Aspects of this issue were raised by both Clebert and Emran, but I believe there is a wider requirement which comes out
> of the Java EE platform initiatative to allow JMS and other resources to be specified in more detail.
>
> Clebert wrote: "[I would like to see the ability] to instantiate connection factories directly. I would make a relation
> to JDBC here. You can make here an analogy to JDBC as you don't need JNDI to make an initial connection."
>
> Emran wrote: "[I would like to see] API on connection factories to create connections with secure transport (I have seen
> this feature in the jms containers as a configurable property on connection factories)."

The reason I didn't take this into the Early Draft was that. although although I agreed with the need for such a feature
I wasn't sure we had the API quite right, and especially that the changes were were proposing would cause problems for
connection factories in a Java EE environment. In addition I received feedback that the proposed list of properties was
too long and too prescriptive.

I have therefore made an amended proposal, which is somewhat different from my original one. To avoid the JIRA issue
becoming confusing I have closed this JIRA issue and created a new one.

Nigel