users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] Message Observers

From: John D. Ament <john.d.ament_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 20:33:44 -0400

Greetings (and I hope that this is going to all of the experts as well :-) )

First and foremost, since it came up recently, this message, nor the ideas
represented with in it, are my own sole thoughts and opinions and are in no
way the thoughts or opinions of my employer.

It looks like one of the ideas floating around is to simplify message
listening. For those unaware, I work on an open source project called Seam
JMS, which aims to simplify the JMS programming model while leveraging the
JSR-299 development paradigm. One of the ideas we've been tinkering with is
how to process JMS messages as CDI events, essentially creating simpler
message "handlers" yet still supporting all of the transaction, isolation
capabilities that come with MDBs. As has been noted, this isn't really an
EE supported behavior. In addition, we support the opposite effect, fired
CDI events can be sent via JMS. It's completely typesafe, The events can be
either JMS message types or POJOs or any type of object. We dynamically
convert types back and forth at runtime by scanning supported calls at
deployment time.

I'm not sure if it would be of any interest to understand some of the inner
workings of the frameworks, but based on what I've seen on here it may be a
good match architecturally for what you're looking for.

- John