users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] What HATEOAS actually means

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:56:00 +0100

Paul,

On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

> We need to come with a number of patterns that can be applied to use-cases and have corresponding prototype implementations and from all that we will be able to hopefully define really good client and server hypermedia API support!

Recent discussions have made me think that among the more 'advanced' RESTafarians there seem to exist two camps that have a completely different view on how machine-to-machine hypermedia should be designed. Hence for example my apparent complete non-grasping of what it is you are trying to solve with the Jersey proposal (I just do not know that problem).

I have brainstormed that here a bit: http://www.nordsc.com/blog/?p=358 and make sure you follow the links and read about Mike Amundsen's 'transient URIs' and Ian S. Robinson's 'ephemeral URIs'. Please also read my comment on Ian's blog (once he moderated it). My thinking likely only comes across in the complete context.

I have a hunch that a) there is a very important aspect behind the 'divide' and b) it is vital to understand each other and reach a real conclusion (wrt Jersey especially).

Jan

> Paul.
>
> [*] What ever you might think of it one thing it is not is RPC.
>

> On Feb 14, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Markus Karg wrote:
>
>> For those interested in the current hypermedia discussion, I'd like to point you to my latest blog entry about "What HATEOAS actually means". It might be interesting to follow its links into Fielding's dissertation so everybody understands what the recent discussion was / is about. It also explains why I think that the current Jersey proposal is invalid, since it is not implementing HATEOAS from the view of the dissertation but more from a pragmatic aspect of doing RPC via http.
>>
>> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/mkarg/archive/2010/02/14/what-hateoas-actually-means
>>
>> Regards
>> Markus

 Jan Algermissen, Consultant