users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey Client and Authentication

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:14:51 +0100

On Mar 17, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Steve Sims wrote:

> Sorry, missed off the server side of things - I know that on
> Glassfish, container security handles Basic authentication just
> through configuration of web.xml (see http://weblogs.java.net/blog/mhadley/archive/2008/03/authentication.html)
> .

Yes.

> I'm not sure about the server included with Jersey however.

Jersey does not include a server. It does have support for multiple
types of server. You can use any compliant Web container (like GF or
Tomcat) or Grizzly, or the LW HTTP server, or to come soon the Simple
HTTP support. I would recommend using a Web container if you want to
use security features below that of Jersey.

The other solution is to utilize a Jersey filter to perform the
authentication.

The Atom server sample [1] contains an example of this approach in
addition to using roles.

   http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/samples/atompub-contacts-server/1.0.2/atompub-contacts-server-1.0.2-project.zip

Paul.