users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Using Guice with JAX-RS

From: Gili <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Sandoz wrote:

> It is not necessary to support such 3rd scopes, just per-request and
> singleton that are really the ones that make most sense w.r.t.
> dispatching HTTP request to methods.

There are both built-in and 3rd-party HTTP request scopes, so supporting
only the built-in scopes is not enough. To a certain degree I get the
feeling that the Guice built-in scopes are meant to be very basic (unlike
Spring's perhaps) and users are encouraged to provide their own.

Paul Sandoz wrote:

> That will work but it is limited in its use because:
>
> - there are other components such a MessageBodyReader/Writer that
> might want to leverage Guice;
>
> I don't understand, how does the implementation I posted prevent them from
> leveraging Guice?
>
> - it is restricting the life-cycle, where as ComponentProvider is
> general; and
>
> - requires additional modification of resource classes specific to
> Guice.

Sorry, I really don't understand why the implementation I posted has any of
these limitations. Can we chat on IRC, Messenger or some other medium?
Discussing this over email might take forever...

Gili