users@jersey.java.net

RE: [Jersey] Paper tigers and hidden dragons

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:34:11 +0200

> Well, firstly you were pointing to standards :) so I thought of
> suggesting SIP :).

In fact, the IM extension of SIP that you need to do that is not a standard
yet but is currently discussed in the IETF working group. So that use of SIP
is not a standard, just like XMPP. Both have the same status. Only SIP in
it's original form (session initiation) is a standard.

> Secondly, I could not agree more that its a bit
> off-topic, I hope the community does not mind.

I think they will enjoy our discussion. :-)

> Thirdly, what we are
> planning includes Presence, Voice/Video over IP, subscription to
> different type of services and service integration with telcos, so for
> us in a more integrated manner SIP was solving the requirement in a
> better way.

I see but this is completely different to simple XML message pushing that
would be able to handle anything, unrelated to the specific use case that
you have. The XMPP idea is to be able to push any information. It is not
telco related at all. So it is much better suited for non-human IM, I think.

I do not say that XMPP is well suited for your specific need, but I would
say that it is better suited for all the other use cases where the endpoints
are not humans but services, and where the transported information is simple
XML information and not video streams.

> Saying so, I have to say that same thing can be achieved using XMPP as
> well, one can actually choose either and I stress that I was not
> making a comparison, but just putting forward an option.

I see. Sorry then I misunderstood your posting. I am looking for a general
purpose protocol that a future API can wrap to push any kind of information.

Sorry if not responding in the next days -- have to leave to Paris now. :-)

CU
Markus