users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Modularizing Jersey: first steps

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:43:26 +0200

Jakub Podlesak wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:59:28AM +0200, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I propose the following first steps to modularize Jersey.
>>
>> Split into three modules + one (in progress):
>>
>> jersey-core
>> jersey-server
>> jersey-client
>>
>> jersey-examples
>
> As a part of modularizing effort, i suggest refactoring
> also package names, so that it is clear what module
> each package belongs to.
>
> So far it was just:
>
> com.sun.jersey.(api|impl|spi)
>
> My suggestion would be to have:
>
> com.sun.jersey.<module>.(api|impl|spi)
>
> E.g. [com.sun.jersey.core.api] would belong to [jersey-core] module,
> [com.sun.jersey.server.api] to [jersey-server] module, etc...
>
> Thoughts?

In principle i think it a good thing, but lets do one thing at a time to
limit the changes.

Once we have modularized to a reasonable degree and it is committed to
the trunk we can rename (there will also be work to more cleanly define
the boundaries as well between modules). I am wondering if we need the
'api' part at all, and we could assume anything, not under 'impl' is
part of the api.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question