users@jersey.java.net

Modularizing Jersey: first steps

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:59:28 +0200

Hi,

I propose the following first steps to modularize Jersey.

Split into three modules + one (in progress):

  jersey-core
    jersey-server
    jersey-client

  jersey-examples

The jersey-core would contain all the shared stuff required for the
client/server, which would include all the message body readers/
writers, header reader/writers, IoC support etc.

The jersey-server would contain all the server support, including all
containers.

The jersey-client would contain just the client support.

I prefer doing this in a number of smaller iterative steps so that we
always have something running. As part of this we also need to
provide a jersey.jar bundle that contains everything (like Grizzly
does) as well as the zip file. In addition providing source and
javadoc to maven would be good.

Does anybody know of a tool to recursively work about class
dependencies from a set of classes. We could use that to determine
the static compile-time dependencies for the client API and impl.

Paul.