users@jaxb.java.net

Re: javadoc generation for JAXB generated classes using mavn-javadoc-plugin

From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh_at_wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:42:34 -0500
Felipe Gaúcho wrote:
Javadoc of generated classes does not make sense anyway :)

Huh! How else would someone know how to use a JAXB generated classes?
Why should they be treated any different from hand-crafted java classes? To the
programmer its is all the same.

Is there a down side to generating javadoc for generated classes that I am missing?

but you can include comments in your schema, and then it will be
included in the javadoc.......

To an extent. Please see following javadoc which contains mostly JAXB generated packages:

<http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com/files/docs/4.3-SNAPSHOT/apidocs/index.html>

Notice the main page index.html shows empty package descriptions for most part. This even though the schema files in question looked like:

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>
<schema targetNamespace="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rim:4.0"
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
  xmlns:tns="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rim:4.0"
  xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
  xmlns:xmime="http://www.w3.org/2005/05/xmlmime"
  xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing"
  elementFormDefault="qualified"
  attributeFormDefault="unqualified"

  <annotation>
    <documentation xml:lang="en">The schema for OASIS ebXML Registry Information Model</documentation>
  </annotation>
  <import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd"/>
  <import namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" schemaLocation="http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/2.1.2/xlinks.xsd"/>
  <import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing" schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2006/03/addressing/ws-addr.xsd"/>

</schema>

However when you look at the list of classes in a package things look good:

<http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com/files/docs/4.3-SNAPSHOT/apidocs/org/freebxml/omar/jaxb/bindings/rim/_4_0/package-summary.html>

Hopefully I am clear on the issue now.

Lastly, I am still stuck on the problem with maven-javadoc-plugin not generating javadoc for JAXB generated classes. I had to manually copy the generated classes to source tree in order to generate the javadoc above. Clearly that is not a sustainable option.

TIA for any guidance.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Farrukh Najmi