users@jaxb.java.net

questions about managing multi versions of JAXB classes

From: Christophe Alexandre <alexandre_at_magillem.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:28:40 +0200

Hi all,
I'm using JAXB 1.5 and I'm looking for feedback on how to manage
different JAXB classes generated from several .xsd versions.

My main problem is that I must manage a huge .xsd schema and that I
must manage at the same time several versions of it. I also know that
in the future I will have new versions
of this schema.
There are differences between the different versions but the heart of
the schema remains the same.
So I created a set of abstract classes and I have edited the JAXB
classes to make them extend these abstract classes.
This permits me to declare abstract methods in my abstract classes,
which I know are implemented by the JAXB classes.

Maybe, I'm not very clear here, but this permits me to keep the heart
of my system without loosing it each time I regenerate new JAXB classes
and to develop functions on top of my system independent of the version.

Is this an heresy ?
Is there a way I can make some of the generated JAXB classes extend
automatically my classes during the generation ?
Is this kind of mechanism possible with JAXB 2.1 ?
Did someone face the same kind of problematic ?

Thanks for any feedback...

Regards.
Christophe