users@jaxb.java.net

Re: JAXB 1.0 under the CDDL

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:50:12 -0700

Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East wrote:
>> 1) you might want to alter the license mentioned at
>> https://jaxb.dev.java.net/1.0/
>
> Thanks - we'll fix it.

Fixed.

>> 2) it is not clear to me whether the license for the source files in
>> the javax.xml namespace is CDDL as they don't contain the same
>> header as the files in the com.sun namespace.
>
> I guess you're referring to the 1.0 codebase - I don't think we bundle
> that package with JAXB now that it is integrated in the JDK. Kohsuke
> changed all of the source code headers - I'll wait for him to chime in...

The jaxb-sources module doesn't host the source code for JAXB 1.0 API.
We have to check if we can also change the license of API, but I don't
know if it's possible.

For example, I'd imagine JCP (not Sun) wouldn't let you redistribute a
modified version of the API. This alone would make it incompatible with
CDDL.

>> A question however with regard to CVS access, I noticed that even with
>> JAXB 2.0 it is much harder to get CVS access than with e.g. the
>> GlassFish project. Is this going to change any time soon?
>
> Yes, we are working on it. We will gradually switch over to CDDL as
> quickly as possible - there are a couple technical/logistical issues
> that we are working on before the CVS access will be easier. I expect
> that we will completely switch over to CDDL by the end of next week

As the first step, http://jaxb-sources.dev.java.net/ can be now accessed
without using the click-through.

The ultimate goal is to move the source code into the CVS repository of
jaxb.dev.java.net, but as Ryan mentioned there are several
technical/logistical issues before that can happen.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi