users@jaxb.java.net

Re: JAXB 1.0 under the CDDL

From: Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer_at_virgil.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:45:57 +0200

Hi Kohsuke,

Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> The jaxb-sources module doesn't host the source code for JAXB 1.0 API.
> We have to check if we can also change the license of API, but I don't
> know if it's possible.
>
> For example, I'd imagine JCP (not Sun) wouldn't let you redistribute a
> modified version of the API. This alone would make it incompatible with
> CDDL.

I understand, but I noticed the source code for standards such as JAF,
JavaMail and JTA have been placed under the CDDL as part of the
GlassFish project.

To clarify my reasons for asking. I have no intention to modify the spec
API but I would like to be able to perform my own builds based on the
source provided as this would (under the CDDL) allows me to ship the
outcome of that build (Executable) under my own license. The problem
with the current (source) distribution is that I accept the Work under
the terms of the CDDL, but as some of the individual source files don't
explicitly refer to the CDDL. As such I'm reluctant to distribute JAXB
under the CDDL as I would have to make available the Source while the
license headers are not 'clear' for the javax.xml namespace.

> The ultimate goal is to move the source code into the CVS repository of
> jaxb.dev.java.net, but as Ryan mentioned there are several
> technical/logistical issues before that can happen.

I understand it will take some time, but there are some clear signals
everything is heading in the right direction ;-)

Thanks,
--
Mark