users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Using existing classes

From: Leon Smith <leon2000_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:34:33 -0800

Gary,

I'm sorry to be so anal about this, but I'd really like to press for a slight change to make the use of JAXB more flexible. If this was a single vendor product, I could care less about its flaws. I'd evaluate it and if I decided I couldn't live with it I'd move on. But we're talking about a standard here. JAXB as defined now is going to influence the efforts of countless developers in the future.
I can think of several ways that I can incorporate JAXB generated objects into my architecture, but they all involve design compromises, additional initial work, performance penalties and most important; the potential for maintenance on my part.
Here's what I need; let me tell the ObjectFactory that for this xml source, I want to specify a JAXB generated class to handle all the details of unmarshalling, etc. and in addition I want to specify a class to serve as the root object that gets instantiated and populated during unmarshalling through methods which it must have because of the generated Interface that it implements. Another degree of separation between the model and the JAXB code I guess.
Is there any chance of this happening ?
Leon