users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Using existing classes

From: Leon Smith <leon2000_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:34:43 -0800

Gary, Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

I must not have been clear in my original post, that using inheritance to obtain JAXB benefits was pretty much out of the question. My hierarchies reflect my own detailed model, and I also considered the composite approach you ended up going with. I can live with a class that forwards a couple of method sends to a contained object, but more than that, and I start feeling ill.

When I made the reference to serialization, that really is the model I would like to see. By following a "contract" you can make sure that any object you create can be serialized. Many products have demonstrated that you can marshal and unmarshal virtually any object to and from XML generically given certain assumptions. If specialized classes must be generated for performance reasons, then let any class that wants to use JAXB, use this generated class to do that.

My need to have eighty percent of my objects unmarshaled repetitively may be unique today, but I see it become very common soon.

Leon