users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: servletless jaxrs in Java EE

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 22:29:36 +0000

Hi Bill

I'm not going to advocate any specific language but WADL To Java
generation works fine, all the type info is deduced either from grammars
or native XSD types.
It is very hard to have a universal language that would offer an
adequate description for both XML and JSON grammars, though some tricks
with WADL at least are possible (WADL in JSON, etc)

On 22/01/15 22:10, Bill Burke wrote:
> Last I saw WADL doesn't understand Java methods, types, etc. Would be
> similar to <servlet-mapping> except would have java method declations
> (like ejb.xml).
>
> JPA started as annotation only, then added an external (XML) metadata
> descriptor. One reason for this was so that you could override settings
> without recompiling code.
We've had a no annotations extension for years now (external model is
attached to a non annotated interface).

I thought you would like to have a model only, no even specific Java
classes... (FYI, having a generic handler is one way to deal with such
cases in routing engines, etc)

Sergey