users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: JAX-RS.next

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 17:23:12 +0100

Let me reply early this time :-)
On 05/06/13 17:02, Marek Potociar wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> First of all, in case you have not noticed already, JAX-RS 2.0 specification has been released. Congratulations and BIG thank you all for helping us shape the spec and make it happen. Our special thanks go to Bill Burke and Sergey Beryozkin for their dedication and passionate work in this EG.

Congrats All, and specifically to spec leads for getting all the hard
work done. I think API and the spec text are of top quality, though of
course we can always find something there that might be improved just a
tiny bit going forward :-)

> Now that we have finished the 2.0 version of the spec, we would like to outline the next steps.
>
> From the recent discussions it is obvious that we should be able to collect enough material in the next few months to start thinking of doing a maintenance release of the specification. In the maintenance release, we cannot add significant new features or APIs, but we can further clarify the existing features as well as provide fixes that do not impact backward compatibility. We already have a number of issues collected in our Jira. As other implementations are working towards passing the TCK, we expect to collect a few more pointers to areas that need clarifying. Another source of ideas that we expect to see soon is a feedback from developers, some of which may result in improvements to put in the maintenance release.
>
> As for the maintenance release schedule, we do not have any fixed dates at the moment. We are considering doing a MR within the next 6-12 months from now, depending on the amount of work involved, but nothing has been decided yet. In this regard, we would be interested to hear esp. from those of you who are implementing the spec about your timelines. Please, let us know.
>
> As usual, we will be using our JAX-RS spec project Jira for tracking all the issues and ideas that we should consider. There are two open release versions in the JAX-RS Spec Jira issue tracker at the moment:
>
> - 2.1 (https://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC/fixforversion/16402)
> - ice box (https://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC/fixforversion/14716)
>
> When entering a new issue, please make sure to use the "2.1" as a "Fix Version" value for any new issue that should be initially considered for MR. Please "ice box" as a "Fix Version" value for any new ideas for a major feature or any other issue that you do not consider to be suitable for MR.
>
> For any EG discussions around JAX-RS MR we will continue to use this mailing list. We will also continue to work in the same EG formation towards the MR release. Once we reach the point of filing a new JSR for another major release of JAX-RS, we will release this EG and form a new one.

Sounds like a good plan

Thanks again and talk to all of you soon
Sergey