users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: _at_Logged deep binding

From: Alex Rojkov <alex_at_caucho.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:11:07 -0800

>>> By introspecting the Java type of the returned sub-resource instance. Since this is a potentially processing-intensive operation, the implementations may consider caching the introspection results for future use.
>>
>> I see. That means filters can be invoked between resources / sub resource method invocations. Appendix C suggests that filters are invoked before any resource method invocations.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "filters can be invoked between resources / sub resource method invocations". Note that subresource locators are part of JAX-RS request-to-resource method matching facility and following is the only possible scenario for any matched request:
>
> request -> [subresource-locator [-> ... -> subresource-locator] -> ] resource method
>
> The above demonstrates that zero or more sub-resource locators may be invoked as part of the request URI matching process. If we add filters into picture, we get:
>
> request -> pre-match filters -> [subresource-locator [-> ... -> subresource-locator] -> ] post-match global & name-bound filters -> resource method
>
> The name-bound filters are selected based on the resource method and it's owner instance that was matched to ultimately handle the request (with or without help of sub-resource locators).
>
>> IMO, the spec needs to be more clear about Filter contract.
>
> It would be good if you could come up with concrete suggestions for improvements. It's hard to see what does "more clear" mean in general.

Sure. How about adding the below to clarify:

– post-match global filters are invoked before any of the root-resource methods are called.
– name bound filters are invoked before a bound method is called.

IMO, the current wording in the spec suggests that all filters (including the method bound filters) finish executing before root-resource is invoked.

Alex