users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Spec's reference of EJB's @Asynchronous is incorrect

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:54:20 -0500

On 1/30/2013 11:32 AM, Marek Potociar wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow how the EJB async "fire-and-forget" nature relates to HTTP.

Exactly my point, it doesn't relate, so you can't use it with JAX-RS.
HTTP expects a response, 'void' + @Asychronous, there is no response for
EJB clients.

> All we are saying is that the HTTP response is returned on a different thread that the one received the request.

Back to our old argument, so I won't go there...

> Async EJBs is one way how to delegate request processing to another (managed) thread in a JEE container.

Wrong. Async EJBs is so that the client execute one or more tasks in
the background. It has nothing to do with managed threads in the Java
EE container other than a possible implementation detail.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat