jsr370-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

HTTP PATCH on the client

From: Pavel Bucek <pavel.bucek_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:13:05 +0200

Dear experts,

as you might know, we recently introduced support for @PATCH and
corresponding methods in the Client part of the API.

There is one catch - HttpUrlConnection doesn't support making PATCH
requests.

Its known JDK issue and it won't be fixed. HttpUrlConnection was
supposed to be replaced by HttpClient in Java SE 9, but .. that won't
happen and it wouldn't fix our issue, since JAX-RS 2.1 implementation is
stuck on Java SE 8 for now.

That doesn't mean PATCH on the client cannot be implemented, the only
issue is that the implementation would need to use something else than
HttpUrlConnection, implying that there must be some other HTTP (client
side) framework involved, or it could be re-implemented using standard
Java networking API.

Jersey already has some means how to overcome that limitation, but by
default we still do use HttpUrlConnection.

Sergey, what about CXF? Do you use HttpUrlConnection on the client side?

Does anyone else know how is this handled in other implementations?

We still could support @PATCH on the server side without having it on
the client, so dropping that part is certainly an option, but we'd like
to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and regards,
Pavel