jsr370-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

Request for comments: Injecting _at_XxxParam into entity providers

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 20:01:00 +0100

Experts,

I'd like to discuss an idea with you. I don't actually propose to do this
change in JAX-RS 2.1, but depending on the outcome of our discussion it
might make sense to prepare our products for such an API change to be part
of JAX-RS 2.2 or 3.0.

What I like you to comment on is that I really miss using @XxxParam in
entity providers.

Example: Today I wrote a MessageBodyWrite which needs to know the value of a
matrix param. I solved it by @Context UriParam and uses a rather lengthy
chain of API calls to finally get it. How much smarter the solution would
like if I just could use @MatrixParam instead!

So I really would love to get rid of the restriction that @XxxParam works
with resource class only, but in fact would like to allow its use on entity
providers also.

What do you think?

-Markus