jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: JAX-RS 2.1 JSR

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:29:06 +0100

Hi Santiago
On 20/08/14 21:40, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2014, at 4:26 PM, sberyozkin_at_talend.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Santiago
>>
>> I know Java 7 is not exactly new. But I'm sure you know many
>> productions would not migrate to Java 8 tomorrow either.
>> How exactly we'd look back by using Java 7 ? IMHO is not only about
>> letting us play with excitement with new and cool features of Java 8.
>> JAX-RS 2.0 is brilliant even without one or two Java 7 interfaces
>> (AutoCloseable or whatever).
>>
>> This process is not about targeting the 'bleeding edge' productions
>> where developers switch Java versions every month.
>
> I know, but 8 is not bleeding edge anymore, that's 9 now.
>
>> So we will look ahead and use the functional programming features or
>> something even better of Java 8, that would super cool. Without those
>> tricks 2.1 won't live I guess. Only part of the story though.
>>
>> Please give me a little time for me to confirm if I can be listed as a
>> supporter, I'll get back on it asap.

Please keep me / Talend as a supporter.

Note we've talked about it with my lead Dan and we believe we will have
CXF itself opening a Java 8 trunk in due time to keep up with the JAX-RS
2.1 progress even though we accept an initial delay is unavoidable. So
generally speaking we are OK.

Note though, and this is what my concern was about, is that you should
expect that only a limited number of users will be able to start
deploying JAX-RS 2.1 into productions in the next 3 years. This is a
long time. The customers who have everything replaced in one go (Java
itself including) would be OK, they might start after 2 years, but
(large) users large migrate slower IMHO.
So the concern here is that basically JAX-RS 2.1 might lose a bit of
momentum...
Can we have the work starting from addressing the enhancements that do
not strictly require Java 8 and effectively have the first API snapshots
compiled with Java 7 ? This of course will stop as soon as Java 8
specific features get introduced. But it will let the initial
enhancements be available to Java 7 users much earlier which can be a
big deal...

Thanks, Sergey

Thanks, Sergey