jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: JAX-RS 2.1 JSR

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:36:36 -0400

On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com> wrote:

> Sorry. lets not worry about 1.5. It was not about 1.5 but about the fact that it will a long time for people to migrate from 7 to 8 and I only referred to Java 5 as an example of how long it may take for people to migrate.
>
> Santiago: why Java 8 ? It's too high. We won't be able to support it for a couple of years probably. Can we lower it down to 1.7 ? JAX-RS 2.0 is 1.6, JAX-RS 2.1, not 3.0, - 1.8. Too high.

 Because Java 7 is EOLed in April 15 [1]. By the time we go out with JAX-RS 2.1, JDK 9 will already be adopted. I know we have supported an earlier version in the past, but JDK 7 will be 2 generations behind when we are done. There are also interesting features that we can use from 8.

-- Santiago

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html