jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Ad JAX_RS_SPEC-257: Unification of MessageProcessingException and ClientException

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:36:29 +0100

I'm still not sure what's the big picture in your proposal:

- You indicated earlier that we should drop ClientException, now you're adding new ClientException subtypes.
- ResponseProcessingException seems like something that should be better derived from MessageProcessingException, but you're again using ClientException

Also, why should we create new connection-related exceptions if Java SE already providers a hierarchy of IOException subclasses in java.net package that cover these failures (ConnectException, UnknownHostException, NoRouteToHostException, HttpRetryException...)?

It seems to me that, if we really want to do anything about improving the current processing exception hierarchy, we could do e.g. this:

Drop ClientException
Define a common ProcessingException instead and update client APIs to throw ProcessingException
On client side this exception would wrap any exceptions not related to message processing in filters or interceptors, including IOExceptions thrown by the transport layer or MBR/MBW.
Make MessageProcessingException a subclass of ProcessingException
Add new client-side ResponseProcessingException subclass of MessageProcessingException
I know we did not get rid of getCause() in case of IOExceptions, but I it still seems to address most of the other issues you had (wrapping filter/interceptor exceptions, missing response processing exception). Would that work for you? Sergey, others would that work for you too?

Marek