jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Open questions on JSR 330 support

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:15:32 +0000

On 26/01/12 15:57, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>

>> On 1/25/12 5:13 AM, Marek Potociar wrote:
>>> - Should we drop DI and once new CDI extension API is finalized,
>>> should we focus more on CDI instead?
>>>

>> Yes ditch 330, CDI is a much more of a thought out, rich API and
>> interface.
>
> DI on the EE platform is quite confusing even for advanced users. EE 5
> got the ball rolling with @Resource, @EJB, etc. and EE 6 introduced 330
> and CDI with @Inject. If you use @ManagedBean, you use one set of
> annotations, if you use CDI, another :(
>
> JAX-RS did not help the cause by introducing @Context (and
> ContextResolver). So using CDI and JAX-RS, we get:
>
> @Path(…)
> class MyResource {
> @Inject MyBean bean;
> @Context UriInfo ui;
> … }
>
> :(

There are so many injection mechanisms around...
@Context is a good & *neutral* annotation to enable the injection of the
relevant contexts without the users having to depend on various EE or
Spring or other injection-enabling artifacts.

>> BTW, AFAIK, DI can't handle parameter injection. @Inject isn't even
>> parameter scoped.
>> So I don't see why we should mix the two until that is at least
>> resolved. Also, I"m not sure, but I don't think CDI supports parameter
>> injection either.
>
> CDI supports parameter injection for things called by its container.
> E.g., using @Inject for constructors and setters [1], as well as
> parameter injection for producers, observers, etc. These are not unlike
> resource methods in JAX-RS. As pointed out by Marek, using @Inject at
> method level introduces some challenges like discerning entity params
> (without qualifiers).
>
> In summary, although I acknowledge the issues, I'm not convinced we
> should drop this altogether. In fact, better integration with CDI and
> (at least some) support for 330 are not completely disconnected IMO.

If something like that is done then IMHO it has to be scoped by the
specification section to do with the optional integration with ESB &
CDI, in other words, the user should be able to run a standalone JAX-RS
app or wrapped in a war and deployed to Tomcat and have the injection
working without having to bundle DI 330 or CDI artifacts

That said, there's enough of the *new* useful stuff in 2.0 already, with
some other major interfaces being updated or refactored.

Cheers, Sergey