jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: First steps

From: Roberto Chinnici <roberto.chinnici_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:17:58 -0800

  On 3/8/11 9:48 AM, Guilherme Silveira wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>>> c) hypermedia => JAX_RS_SPEC-52
>>> d) MVC support => JAX_RS_SPEC-53
> Should we add details and questions soon, while
> discussing/implementing each one of those?

Sure, if it helps clarify the issue, you can add comments in JIRA.

>>> i) ease of use, e.g. DRY
> Support defaults everywhere configuration is required, by supporting a
> default configuration (and allowing all defaults to be configurable).
> For instance, do not repeat json and xml serialization configuration
> in two places (i.e. let the framework know you do it just once).
> Other miscs related to dry:
> Avoid repeating URIs all over the place.
> Avoid using Strings for configuring reflection based information
> (thus, avoid annotations that receive Strings instead of types too)
>
> DRY is to not repeat what has been already mentioned, for example,
> what was just posted on pojo repeats the word pk 3 times, the word
> path twice. It repeats the notion of param when describing, well, a
> param. DRY would be to remove all those repetitions (from the entire
> resource schemas).

The repetition of "pk" in the example will become avoidable once the JDK
gives us access to method parameter names via reflection. We raised this
issue *many* times over the years and it looks like it should finally
happen in Java SE 8 (I know, two releases away...).

--Roberto