users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Announcing the release of Java Web Services Developer Pack 1.6

From: Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:21:45 -0500
Sharib Anis wrote:
I would like to clarify the licensing terms of the Java Web Services
Developer Pack 1.6. From my reading it seems like that it is not possible to
bundle and distribute JWSDP 1.6 with or without other products.

Also, from my reading of the previous licenses of the JWSDPs it seems that
they are distributable. Any reasons for this change?

Hi Anis,

IANAL but below is an email I sent on another mailing lists recently which sheds light on the license issue you raise.
HTH.
--
Regards,
Farrukh

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

(Changing subject to something more topical)

There has been some doubt expressed by forum colleague below regarding the JWSDP 1.6 license.
This email is to clear the doubt.

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
Robin wrote:
I think it is important to mention that JWSDP and some other
technologies available from the Sun website are not appropriate at
all for anything else than evaluation purposes. I don't say that
these tools are not robust enough but there is no licence for.
Check the licence before using JWSDP for a real application:

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.6/LICENSE
Looking at the above license in the context of the ReleaseNotes for JWSDP 1.6, one will see that it is actually quite permissive of redistributing *most* components of JWSDP 1.6, at deployment time, on a royalty free basis.

The restrictions on deployment options applies only when redistributing *entire* JWSDP 1.6.
Redistributing individual "redistributable" component(s) is allowed on a royalty free basis.

Note that *most* components of JWSDP 1.6 fall into "redistributable" category:

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.6/ReleaseNotes.html#RedistributableComponents

In summary,  the JWSDP 1.6 license quoted above only applies to redistributing *all of* JWSDP 1.6 (including "non-redistributable" components).
Any one or more of the "redistributable" components is allowed to be redistrubuted or used at deployment time, on a royalty free basis.
The ReleaseNotes linbk above describes which components are redistributable and which are not (most are).

The typical reason why some components are "non-redistributable" in the ReleaseNotes.html is because they are based on evolving APIs that are not yet final.

HTH