users@jax-rpc.java.net

JAX-WS: Any help with web services versioning and DII?

From: Ryan LeCompte <Ryan.LeCompte_at_pangonetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:31:20 -0400

Hello all,

I know that currently JAX-RPC doesn't really provide any assistance
with the concept of versioning web services. One of the issues that
we've had to deal with is maintaining multiple versions of web
services (ultimately multiple versions of WSDL's). Since the current
version of DII in JAX-RPC doesn't work well with custom data types,
we've gone with a static stub approach for our web services. When we
version our web services, we end up having different versions of the
generated static stubs and related files. It is fairly cumbersome to
deal with different versions of these generated artifacts. I was
wondering if the latest version of JAX-RPC (JAX-WS) has any plans to
specifically address the versioning problem with web services? Also,
has DII been enhanced in JAX-WS so that it can deal with complex data
types? It seems like if we could use the DII approach, we wouldn't
have to deal with any versioned generated artifacts, correct? Is there
any main benefit of upgrading to JAX-WS when it's available? Any
advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan