users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: NullPointerException when trying to generate JAX-WS client from WS-Notification WSDL

From: Vivek Pandey <Vivek.Pandey_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:06:09 -0700

hi James,

the NPE is result of missing required input binding for operation "Notify".

The abstract definition defines it as one way operation in
wsdl\WS-BaseNotification-1_2-Draft_01.wsdl:

<!-- ================ NotificationConsumer::Notify ================
     Notify(
       NotificationMessage
         (TopicExpression, ProducerReference, Message)*
     returns: n/a (one way)
   -->
   <wsdl:message name="Notify">
      <wsdl:part name="Notify" element="wsnt:Notify"/>
   </wsdl:message>

<!-- ========= NotificationConsumer PortType Definition =========== -->
   <wsdl:portType name="NotificationConsumer">

      <wsdl:operation name="Notify">
         <wsdl:input message="wsntw:Notify"/>
      </wsdl:operation>

   </wsdl:portType>

But while binding you're not providing binding for the input. Here is
your binding from wsdl/Service-Consumer.wsdl:

    <wsdl:operation name="Notify">
      <soap:operation />
      <wsdl:input></wsdl:input>
    </wsdl:operation>

if you change your wsdl:input binding to:
    <wsdl:operation name="Notify">
      <soap:operation />
      <wsdl:input>
        <soap:body parts="Notify" use="literal"/>
      </wsdl:input>
    </wsdl:operation>

I think wsimport should work fine with this change.

Regardless of that NPE shouldnt be thrown, instead a proper exception
giving the problem with WSDL should have been trown. It will be fixed.

-vivek.