users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Re-installation woes

From: Bobby Bissett - Javasoft <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:24:21 -0400

> I'm trying to re-install JWSDP1.4 after a previous installation seems to
> have failed. When I get to the section where I choose the installation
> directory I choose c:\jwsdp-1.4 and get a dialog telling me that the JWSDP
> is already installed in that directory (it isn't) and that I should
> uninstall JWSDP before re-installing, which of course I can't!

Hi Kevin,

I got the info below about how to tell Install Shield that there really
isn't anything installed there.

Cheers,
Bobby

----------------------
Yes, there's a way to do this, but InstallShield doesn't recommend doing
this.

There should be a vpd.properties file in his home directory. What he
can do is make a backup copy of this file. Bring up vpd.properties in
an editor and wherever he sees a line in the file that has c:\jwsdp-1.4
as the base directory of the installation, remove that line. He should
then try and do the install again, and if everything seems okay, then he
can remove the backup file.

This file is InstallShield's registry, so it could have other entries in
it for other products, so we want to make sure this file is okay for the
other products.