users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: JSR-109 vs. JAX-RPC

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne_at_manes.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:12:56 +0100

Mete,

The JAX-RPC spec defines a framework for Web services that can work in a
variety of Java environments -- including J2SE, Servlet engines, and J2EE.
But it provides a complete specification only for the servlet-based
environment. JSR-109 provides the complete specification for JAX-RPC in a
J2EE environment. It doesn't require that you use EJBs, but it does specify
how to map JAX-RPC to EJBs. I think that the most critical extra value of
JSR-109 over plain JAX-RPC is that it defines a standard deployment
descriptor for Web services.

Anne