users@jax-rpc.java.net

JSR-109 vs. JAX-RPC

From: Mete Kural <metek_at_touchtonecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:09:21 +0000

Hello,

I read the JSR-109 JSR page and I kind of get the impression that JSR-109 suggests a framework for building web services. JAX-RPC is also a framework for building web services but I get the impression that Jsr-109 is a superset of JAX-RPC. One thing that confuses me is whether JSR-109 forces the use of EJBs. It is not clear from the JSR page. Can any of you help me with these questions.

1) What really is JSR-109? Can someone give a better explanation than the one found on the JSR page?

2) Does JSR-109 force the use of EJBs in web service development? Can I use JSR-109 without using EJBs?

3) What are the advantages of using JSR-109 compared with just using JAX-RPC alone? What does JSR-109 buy me on top of JAX-RPC?

Thanks,
Mete